Employment Opportunities
Business Banner


How much is the fee for new water service?

The City of Wood River charges a $60 non-refundable service charge for all new water service. The City does not collect deposits.


How often will I be billed for my water and trash service?

Your water and trash service is combined into one bill that is mailed every two months.


What could be the reasons for an unusually high water bill?

If you believe there is a discrepancy in your bill, please call (618) 251-3133 to request a serviceman to re-check your meter. There is a possibility that your meter was misread or your have a water leak.


How do I get rid of my leaves?

During late fall the City will send a leaf pick-up truck around the City to collect leaves. Leaves need to be raked to the curb, not in the street, the day before pick-up. Schedules for the pick up are published in the newspaper and City Pipeline community newsletter. Leaves can also be taken to the City’s dump and compost center at 400 Smith Ct (located in the EnviroTech Business Park on the west side of town) for free.


What are the City Dump/Compost Facility hours for dumping leaves or large items?

The City Dump/Compost Facility is open only Monday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00am to 4:00pm and Sunday noon to 4:00pm. Dumping charges vary. For more fee information please call (618) 251-3100. Curbside pick-up for bulk items, excluding appliances, is available on Wednesdays for a $35.00 per load fee. Curbside brush pick-up is available to citizens for a $25.00 per load fee.


When does spring and fall clean up begin?

Spring and fall clean up is a yearly service provided by the City and takes place the first 2 weeks of June and the first 2 weeks of October. A copy of the map is in the Pipeline that shows the designated days for pick-up in your area. A copy of the map is also available in the Finance Department and City Clerk’s Office.


When can I have water turned on?

The Public Services Department turns water on 3 times a day beginning at 7:00am to 7:30am, 12:30pm to 1:00pm and finally 3:30pm to 4:00pm Water service can be turned on the same day as long as a request is made before the time frame. Someone must be at there during turn on in case of a leaks or other unexpected emergency.


What do I need in order to establish water service?

New customers must present a valid state issued ID along with a second form of signature guarantee.


When is City Hall open?

All City departments can be contacted during the office hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday except on recognized holidays. A night drop is located at the entryway of City Hall for water/sewer customer payments and is available 24 hours/7 days a week.


How much revenue does the City receive in property tax?

The total amount levied for 2011 collected in 2012 was $2,087,259. This amount included the City’s levy of $1,701,257 and the Library levy of $386,002. The City tax rate was 1.3199 and the Public Library rate was .2995.


What is the City’s total budget?

The total budget for fiscal year 2012-2013 was $15,853,913.


When does the City test the emergency warning sirens?

The City tests these sirens on the first Tuesday of each month at approximately 10:00am.


What is the pound fee and the cost for dog tags?

The dog pound release fee is $25.00 for the first release and must be paid first to the City at the Finance Department in City Hall. Please call for rates on subsequent releases. Dog license fees during April & May are: $3.50 male, $3.50 spayed female, $5.50 unspayed female. Dog license fees after May 31 are: $5.25 male, $5.25 female, $8.25 unspayed female. Cat license fees (2-years) during April & May are $2.00 and after May 31 are $3.00.


What is the speed limit on streets where the limit is not posted?

On streets with no speed limit sign, the speed limit is 30 mph and 15 mph in alleys.


What is the curfew for my 17-year-old child?

The curfew law does not apply to 17-year-olds. Only those who are 16-years-old and younger are affected. These children have a curfew of 11:00pm to 6:00am on Sunday night to Thursday night and midnight to 6:00am on Friday and Saturday nights. Holidays and school breaks are not exceptions. In addition, the driver’s license of a 16-year-old out after curfew is considered not valid during curfew hours.



Home  |  Business  |  Government  |  Services  |  Community 
Employment Opps  |  Flood Information 
Online Payments  |  Reference Desk  |  What's New 
Search  |  Site Map   


The City of Wood River, Illinois
111 North Wood River Avenue
Wood River, Illinois  62095
(618) 251-3100

This page last modified 04/20/15 .
All information © 2014 City of Wood River

Site Design/Development by
Bringing the World to Your Corner of the World


Bottom Graphic