Online Payments
(618) 251-3100
Progressing in the spirit of Lewis & Clark
Welcome to the City of Wood River
campdubois-rotator rotator-veterans education-rotator city-hall-rotator Vaughn-Hill-Cemetery-rotator rotator-sportscomplex rotator-museum Belk-Park-rotator


How much is the fee for new water service?

The City of Wood River charges a $60 non-refundable service charge for all new water service. The City does not collect deposits.

How often will I be billed for my water, sewer and trash service?

Your water, sewer and trash service is combined into one bill that is mailed every month.

What could be the reasons for an unusually high water bill?

If you believe there is a discrepancy in your bill, please call (618) 251-3131. There is a possibility that you have a water leak.

How do I get rid of my leaves?

During late fall the City will send a leaf pick-up truck around the City to collect leaves. Leaves need to be raked to the curb, not in the street, the day before pick-up. Schedules for the pick up are published in the City Pipeline community newsletter. Leaves can also be taken to the City’s dump and compost center at 400 Smith Ct (located in the EnviroTech Business Park on the west side of town) for free.

What are the City Dump/Compost Facility hours for dumping leaves or large items?

The City Dump/Compost Facility is open only on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays from 8am to 4pm and Sundays noon to 4pm. Dumping charges vary. For more fee information, please call 618-251-3122.

Curbside brush pick-up is also available to citizens for a $50.00 per truck load fee. For more information on how to schedule a pick-up, please call 618-251-3131.

Republic Services will pick up bulky items, such as furniture, old carpet, junk materials, etc for a fee. (2 free per calendar year)  For additional information or to schedule a pick-up, please call Republic Services at 618-656-6883.

When does spring and fall clean up begin?

Spring and fall clean up has been replaced by personalized on-demand clean ups. (2 free pickups per calendar year)  Call Republic Services to schedule an individual big trash pickup at 618-656-6883 

When can I have water turned on?

The Public Services Department turns water on 2 times a day once at 7:00am to 7:30am and then again at 2:00pm to 2:30pm. Water service can be turned on the same day as long as a request is made before the time frame. Someone must be there during turn on in case of leaks or other unexpected emergency.

What do I need in order to establish water service?

New customers must present a valid state issued ID along with a second form of signature guarantee, ie. social security card, signed lease agreement, FOID card, signed debit/credit card.

When is City Hall open?

All City departments can be contacted during the office hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday except on recognized holidays. A night drop is located at the entryway of City Hall for water/sewer customer payments and is available 24 hours/7 days a week.

When does the City test the emergency warning sirens?

The City tests these sirens on the first Tuesday of each month at approximately 10:00am.

What is the pound fee and the cost for dog tags?

The dog pound release fee is $25.00 for the first release. Please call for rates on subsequent releases.  For all information regarding animal release please contact the Police Department at 251-3113 and speak with Dispatch.  The City no longer requires animal tags.  Contact Madison County to tag your animals.

What is the speed limit on streets where the limit is not posted?

On streets with no speed limit sign, the speed limit is 30 mph and 15 mph in alleys. 

What is the curfew for my 17-year-old child?

The curfew law does not apply to 17-year-olds. Only those who are 16-years-old and younger are affected. These children have a curfew of 11:00pm to 6:00am on Sunday night to Thursday night and midnight to 6:00am on Friday and Saturday nights. Holidays and school breaks are not exceptions. In addition, the driver’s license of a 16-year-old out after curfew is considered not valid during curfew hours.

Can I use my credit/debit card?

Yes. Credit and Debit Cards can be used in person at the Finance Department.

How many dogs and cats am I allowed?

City ordinance states that all persons shall be limited to ownership of two dogs and three cats per residence.